Welcome to our series on starting and growing a business! This beginner-friendly video series will take you through the fundamentals of building a successful company. From developing a business idea and conducting a feasibility study, to creating a business plan and scaling your company, we will cover all the essential steps to help you launch and grow your own business. Whether you’re a first-time entrepreneur or just looking to brush up on your business skills, our series has something for everyone.
FEDERAL INFO RESOURCES
1. Small Business Administration (SBA): Support America’s small businesses. The SBA connects entrepreneurs with lenders and funding to help them plan, start and grow their businesses.
2. Score: the nation’s largest network of volunteer, expert business mentors. We have helped more than 11 million small business owners since 1964.
3. USA.gov: Federal business resources
4. Sam.gov: The System for Award Management (SAM.gov) is an official website of the U.S. Government. There is no cost to use SAM.gov. Used to register to do business with the U.S. Government, find contracting opportunities, and update, renew, or check the status of your entity registration.
5. Internal Revenue Service (IRS): The tax collection agency administers the Internal Revenue Code enacted by Congress.
6. US Treasury: National treasury and finance department of the federal government of the United States, which serves as an executive department.
7. US Department of Labor (US DOL): Executive departments of the U.S. federal government responsible for the administration of federal laws governing occupational safety and health, wage and hour standards, unemployment benefits, reemployment services, and occasionally, economic statistics.
FEDERAL FUNDING RESOURCES
Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Loans: Start or expand your business with loans guaranteed by the Small Business Administration. Use Lender Match to find lenders that offer loans for your business.
- Investment Capital: Find an investor for your business through a Small Business Investment Company (SBIC) licensed by SBA.
- Disaster Assistance: SBA provides low-interest disaster loans to help businesses and homeowners recover from declared disasters.
- Surety Bonds: The Small Business Administration (SBA) guarantees bid, performance, and payment surety bonds issued by certain surety companies.
- Grants: SBA provides limited small business grants and grants to states and eligible community organizations to promote entrepreneurship.
- Business & Industry Loan Guarantees: This program offers loan guarantees to lenders for their loans to rural businesses.
- NJ/PA 17980 EIDL Fact Sheet: Click Here
SBA Business Templates – SBA.gov
1. Business.NJ.Gov: One-stop for learning about State and sometimes federal and local opportunities and regulations in New Jersey. Explore a rich library of content on registering, hiring, funding, and more.
2. New Jersey Small Business Development Centers Network (NJSBDC) : No-Cost small business consulting, Training & events starting at $0, and exclusive small business resources.
3. The New Jersey Business Action Center (NJBAC): Provide mentoring, technical training, regulatory assistance, site selection, emergency preparedness guidance, and access to business recovery programs and services.
4. New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA): With the creative and versatile loan solutions available to small to mid-sized businesses through the NJEDA, now is an opportune time to contact NJEDA to determine if any of our programs may be the right fit for your small to mid-sized business needs.
5. New Jersey Business & Industry Association (NJBIA): For more than 110 years we have been focused on the advancement of competitive excellence and financial success of our members. We are the voice of thousands of businesses bound together to build a more prosperous New Jersey by providing advocacy, support, networking and exclusive money savings benefits to businesses throughout the 21 counties of the Garden State.
6. New Jersey Department of Labor (NJDOL): We want to help you succeed and we want to help New Jersey’s economy thrive. We’re committed to providing quality service and helping New Jersey’s skilled and productive workforce enable employers statewide to compete successfully in the world marketplace.
7. NJ COVID-19 Business Support Eligibility Wizard: This is a beta version of the Eligibility Wizard that focuses on newly announced State Emergency Assistance programs and the SBA disaster loan program.
8. NJ.gov Updates for Businesses: Learn about new rules, resources, and upcoming changes that may affect your business—including critical information and programs for state emergencies.
10. NJ Division of Taxation: Business Related Tax Information
Hunterdon Chamber of Commerce
NEW JERSEY AND NEW YORK FUNDING RESOURCES
NJ STATE GOVERNMENT
Small Business Fund – A $10 million capital reserve fund to take a first loss position on CDFI loans that provide low-interest working capital to micro-businesses. This will allow CDFIs to withstand loan defaults due to the outbreak, which will allow them to provide more loans at lower interest rates to microbusinesses affected by the outbreak.
Grants by NJ State Department: Unlike federal grantmaking, which primarily uses Grants.gov as a portal for finding and applying for grant opportunities, NJ State grantmaking is administered through individual departments.
- New Jersey State League of Municipalities: Federal Funding Resources.
- New Jersey Business Action Center Grants: A list of NJBAC grant opportunities.
NJEDA Financing and Incentives: Programs to provide businesses with low-interest financing through bonds, loan participations, loan guarantees, and variable or fixed-rate loans.
Statewide Chambers of Commerce
- New Jersey Chamber Of Commerce
- New Jersey Chamber Of Commerce Foundation
- Nj State Veterans Chamber Of Commerce
- New Jersey Pride Chamber Of Commerce
- African American Chamber Of Commerce Of New Jersey
- New Jersey Business & Industry Association
- Commerce & Industry Association Of New Jersey
- Statewide Hispanic Chamber Of Commerce Of Nj
- New Jersey Chinese-American Chamber Of Commerce
- Asian Indian Chamber Of Commerce
- Minority Business Development Agency
New Jersey County Chambers of Commerce
- Bergen County Chamber of Commerce
- Burlington County Chamber of Commerce
- Camden County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Cape May County Chamber of Commerce
- Essex County Latino American Chamber of Commerce
- Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce
- Hudson County Chamber of Commerce
- Hunterdon County Chamber of Commerce
- Burlington Mercer Chamber of Commerce
- Middlesex County Regional Chamber
- Monmouth County Chamber of Commerce
- Morris County Chamber of Commerce
- Ocean County Chamber of Commerce
- Salem County Chamber of Commerce
- Somerset County Business Partnership
- Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce
- Sussex County Chamber of Commerce
- Warren County Chamber of Commerce
All Chambers of Commerce in New Jersey
State Government Offices
Business & Economic Development Centers
- Jersey City Economic Development Corporation
- New Jersey Economic Development Authority
- Small Business Development Centers
- SCORE (Volunteer-Based Organization)
- Statewide Business Organizations
- DEP Small Business Assistance Program
- NJ Research Asset Database
- New Jersey Libraries
- Chambers of Commerce (Member Supported Organization)
- Main Street New Jersey
New Jersey Venture Capital Firms
- Battelle Ventures
- Cardinal Partners
- Domain Associates, L.L.C.
- Edelson Technology Partners
- Edison Venture Fund
- HealthCare Ventures, L.L.C.
- Johnson & Johnson Development Corporation
- Johnston Associates Inc.
- New Venture Partners LLC
- NJTC Venture Fund
- Ridgewood Capital
- OmniCapital Group LLC
- Technology Crossover Ventures
- The Vertical Group
- Zon Capital Partners
New Jersey Small Business Incubators
- Applied Communications & Information Networking
- Burlington County College High Tech Sm Bus Incub
- Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership Inc
- Rutgers Camden Business Incubator
- Rutgers University Food Innovation Center
- Venture Link @ NJIT
- New Jersey Business Incubation Network
- The Enterprise Development Center III
- Newark Venture Partners
- Hanu Software
- Store No 8
- Liberate Ideas, Inc
- Kings Ventures
- TechX Ventures
- Health IT Connections
- Juice Tank
- Black and Latino Tech Initiative
As a recipient of the Federal and State Technology (FAST) program’s grant award for the State of New Jersey, the NJSBDC is able to support specialized training, mentoring, and technical assistance for research and development (R&D)-focused small businesses specifically for SBIR & STTR Grants Opportunities.
Here is a list of SBIR/STTR resources:
- General Information: https://www.sbir.gov/about
- Eligibility Requirements: https://www.sbir.gov/faqs/eligibility-requirements
- Funding Solicitations: https://www.sbir.gov/solicitations
- SBIR Tutorials: https://www.sbir.gov/tutorials
- SBIR/STTR Phase I & II State Matching Funds: Click Here
- SBIR/STTR Past Awards: Click Here
SBIR/STTR RESOURCES BY AGENCY:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Department of Defense (DOD)
- Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Department of Commerce (DOC)
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Department of Education (ED)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Department of Energy SBIR/STTR Resources
- DOE SBIR Website: Click Here
- DOE SBIR-STTR Virtual Outreach Request Form 2023
- DOE SBIR Research Areas & Impact: Click Here
- DOE SBIR Funding Opportunities: Click Here
- DOE SBIR/STTR Phase 0 Application: Click Here
- DOE SBIR/STTR Tutorials: Click Here
- DOE SBIR/STTR Partnering Resources: Click Here
- DOE National Laboratories: Click Here
- DOE SBIR/STTR Phase III Success Stories: Click Here
- DOE SBIR/STTR Market Research Studies: Click Here
- DOE Technology Commercialization Fund: Click Here
Other Tech Resources:
- FLC For Technology Transfer: Click Here
- FLC Partners Seeking Labs: Click Here
- Find Technology Marketplace: Click Here
- Defense-Wide Budget Justifications RDT&E: Click Here
- Army Financial Management & Comptroller: Click Here
- USDA Office of Technology Transfer: Click Here
- Existing Other Transaction (OT) Consortia Lists: Click Here
- NSF Seed Find: Click Here
- American-Made Challenges by DOE: Click Here
- Tech & Life Sciences Company Assistance: Click Here
- DoD/Navy SBIR/STTR Solicitations: Click Here
New BusinessesBusiness Planning
- How to Write a Business Plan
- Market Research
- Strategic Planning
- Sales for a Small Business Owner
- Marketing 101: A Guide to Winning Customers
- Social Media Marketing
- Financing Options
- Finding and Attracting Investors
- Pricing Models for Successful Businesses
- Legal Requirements
- Young Entrepreneurs
- Buying a Business
- Encore Entrepreneurs: An Introduction to Starting Your Own Business
- Encore Entrepreneurship for Women
- Understanding Your Customer
- Cybersecurity for Small Businesses
- Disaster Recovery: A Guide to SBA’s Disaster Assistance Programs
- Establishing Values for Your Business
- Selling Your Business
- Take Your Business Global
- Non-Manufacturer Rule Primer
- Small Business Primer – Understanding Small Business Size Standards and Affiliation
- Uniform Certification Service
- The WOSB Advantage
Existing BusinessesExisting Business Courses
- Introduction to Accounting
- Introduction to Human Resources
- Introduction to Pricing
- Pre-8(a) Business Development Program- Business Planning and Operational Management
- Certificate of Competency
- Contracting Opportunities for Veteran Entrepreneurs
- Government Contracting 101 (Part 1)
- Government Contracting 101 (Part 2)
- Government Contracting 101 (Part 3)
- HUBZone Mini-Primer #1
- HUBZone Mini-Primer #2
- HUBZone Mini-Primer #3
- How to Prepare Government Contract Proposals
- Pre-8(a) Business Development program – Introduction to federal contracting
- Pre-8(a) Business Development program – Winning contracts
- Price Evaluation Preference – HUBZone Program Guide for Contracting Officers
- Small Business Contracting Emergency Acquisition Procedures
- The HUBZone Primer – Eligibility & Certification Requirements
- Women Owned Small Business Program – A Primer for Contracting Officers